Saturday, March 2, 2013

The Pleasure of Work: 200 Times Over

When you love what you do, you find reasons to work more!  That's not crazy, really.

I didn't really have to cut the veggies into brunoise (tiny dice) for this Chicken and Rice I made for my pre-schoolers. . . but I wanted to use my knife and my skills.
 It also turns out that tiny vegetables go down easier for toddlers, so my kids benefited as well.

If you're a regular reader you know how much I like my Shun Edo knife, and so it will come as no surprise that I used to it to fulfill an old challenge I made to myself: cut a carrot into 200 slices.  This idea came into my head years ago and has been banging around in there, occasionally surfacing at times when I wasn't prepared to try it.  With this new super-knife, I accomplished the goal in one go.

There's 50.
 There's 100.


 There's 150.


 And 200.

They're not all perfect, as you can see, but I also made about 215 cuts to overcome any margin of error in counting as I went.  And you know, they were quite delicious to eat.

That's how I enjoy myself after the kids are in bed!  Is there something you do just for the pleasure of it that other people think is crazy?  I want to know. . .

Namaste!

No comments: